Seeking short video essays on the following topics surrounding homosexuality and marriage…
(This site is in the very early stages of production. Please stay tuned.)
The primary focus of this site will be to find find the right people (LDS homosexuals, and in equal proportion family/friends of LDS homosexuals) to create 5 minute video segments for Youtube, which will provide testimonials (stories) for certain topics, like:
– Starting w/ the positive…what they/we love about the church and its members. Thoughts on how far everyone has come.
Then move to the appeal…
– How homosexuality is not a choice (stories of folks feeling these inklings from very early age, or seeing their loved ones struggle with it from an early age)
– How homosexuality does not go away (stories of folks who have tried, and failed, to “un-gay” themselves, or of loved ones who have watched them try)
– Concerns that the church’s requesting of lifelong solitude/loneliness is perhaps not realistic, and is potentially sad, cruel, and unreasonable (stories of folks who have tried living without intimacy, and what that was like)
– Concerns that the way we (Mormons, church members) treat gays can lead to depression/suicide (videos from the Matis family would be amazing here)
– Why members should care
– How marriage is a good thing — for gays included
How/why this activity against Prop 8 might hurt the church (seeing that the church tries to paint itself as not involved in politics — also this might end up being yet another thing that the church has to “undo” and apologize for in the future)
– How/why Pro 8 is a bad idea
– How sometimes even the brethren make mistakes — and how they’ve always encouraged us to think for ourselves, and to follow the spirit. This can help us feel better about respectfully disagreeing on this political issue.
The videos that we put up MUST sync w/ the following:
– Each video must be under 5 minutes, but folks can submit multiple videos
– Must be based on stories and personal experiences
– The folks must be compelling story tellers (articulate, thoughtful)
– The videos must be of relatively decent production quality (video and audio)
– They must align w/ the topics we decide (like the ones listed above)
For those who can record their videos on their home machines (on a Mac, it’s super easy) that is ideal (as long as the audio and video quality are good).
For those without audio/video equipment, we’re looking into setting up video studios in SLC (around Sunstone), in Atlanta, and hopefully in California and in the New York area to make it easier for folks to capture video. If anyone has the means to support — please let me know.
Finally, if you are interested in recording a video segment, or know someone who might be, please email: email@example.com
Also, please help spread the word!!!!