More publicity than you ever thought you wanted
It’s been a busy couple of days on the Mormons-and-Same-Sex-Marriage front, so here’s a very quick roundup.
First, there was Mormon Harry Reid (D-NV) talking about how much he didn’t like what the Church did with Prop 8:
And the corresponding fallout which includes:
And finally, today, a ruling in the Perry v. Schwarzenegger , 09-2292, case wherein US District Chief Judge Vaughn Walker told Prop 8 proponents that the case will not be dismissed and they’ll need to be able to answer some tough questions at trial, including:
- Where’s the evidence that same-sex marriages undermine traditional marriages
- What are some specific adverse consequences seen in other jurisdictions allowing gay marriage?
- Is same-sex attraction a fixed characteristic?
- Are gays a politically powerful group?
- Are gay marriage bans such as Prop 8 motivated by anti-gay bias?
The case is set for trial on January 11th in San Francisco. Both sides are motivated to complete the discovery process on time because part of the reason the judge refused to grant an injunction against Prop 8 was the early trial date. Should that date get pushed back, plaintiffs may consider requesting an injunction again.
Then, of course, the political cartoonists get involved. Imagine what it would be like to way up gay, indeed.